From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Best *SIMPLE* firewall?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 23:48:00
1 On 02/28/2018 04:22 PM, Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
2 > Is there a windows style application layer firewall?
3
4 I'm not aware of one.
5
6 I know that iptables can filter based on a process owner and cgroup.
7 So, depending on how the applications are running, you might be able to
8 come close to what you're after.
9
10 I think I've seen a few firewall packages / solutions over the years
11 that run a client on workstations that publish state on a central
12 firewall, which will then filter flows based on their (lack of)
13 registration state. - I've never messed with anything like this.
14
15 > I get that it doesn't stop truly malicious programs but I am simply
16 > wanting to stop random programs doing connections without my consent
17 > which due to the lennart potterings's of the world now are not just a
18 > windows freeware problem.
19
20 I think for now, you have to block everything by default and explicitly
21 allow what you want through. Or use something like a SOCKS server that
22 can do some different types of filtering than can be done with iptables.
27 Grant. . . .
28 unix || die

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature