From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 03:34:58
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > I do sometimes wonder how the #1 server OS in the world somehow lacks
4 > decent facilities for graphical remote login, and for sharing files
5 > across the network. (For the latter NFS is a real pain to set up in a
6 > remotely secure fashion - part of the problem is that it is hard to
7 > use some kind of a UUID to drive file permissions, and kerberos/etc is
8 > a pain to set up. There is certainly nothing approaching the ease of
9 > just setting a password on a share or connecting to a windows domain
10 > (even a samba-driven one)).
11
12 I think Linux is only #1 in the area of web services. For this you
13 don't really need a graphical remote login. I think the main reason for
14 the windows terminal server is that windows couldn't be configured via
15 console login (SSH) in the same way as Linux could.
16
17 But of course it would be very nice to have a RDP like feature for
18 Linux with the same efficiency as RDP under Windows. This would really
19 expand the facilities of Linux as a desktop based server.
20
21 Sharing files can be done via SCP/SFTP. If a VPN connection is used,
22 then even NFS or FTP are possibilities. For all of these connections
23 you can also use graphical clients.
24
25 Just my two cents. I'm sure that you are already aware of this.
28 Regards
29 wabe