From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 03:56:40
1 On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 10:33 PM, <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Sharing files can be done via SCP/SFTP. If a VPN connection is used,
4 > then even NFS or FTP are possibilities.
5
6 I have 100 computers. I want a user on those 100 computers to be able
7 to share a file on their computer with just me. On windows they just
8 right-click and pick sharing, search for my name on the domain, and
9 grant me permissions. You're not going to get an experience anything
10 like that with scp or nfs or ftp. Heck, nfs is almost completely
11 insecure in the way most people use it.
12
13 I don't just want to copy a file from point A to point B. I want to
14 have a robust set of permissions and security and so on behind that.
15 If a user changes their password, that password gets them access to
16 everything they used to have access to, and none of those random
17 clients ever see the password.
18
19 Sure, you can do it on linux with lots of NFSv4 and kerberos and all
20 that. But it is painful to set up and almost nobody actually seems to
21 do it as a result. You can also do something like Bitlocker on linux,
22 but there isn't a single distro that supports it out of the box
23 because it uses a lot of features nobody has bothered to seriously
24 develop. (Before somebody points out LUKS, be aware that Bitlocker
25 lets you do full-disk encyption that is secure without having to
26 actually type a decryption key at any point. Remove the hard drive or
27 boot from a CD, and the disks are unreadable - you can only read them
28 if you boot off them on the original PC.)
29
30 It is just a bit frustrating to behold. But, I'm getting what I'm
31 paying for, so... :)
34 Rich