From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 05:23:01
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 10:33 PM, <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Sharing files can be done via SCP/SFTP. If a VPN connection is used,
6 > > then even NFS or FTP are possibilities.
7 >
8 > I have 100 computers. I want a user on those 100 computers to be able
9 > to share a file on their computer with just me. On windows they just
10 > right-click and pick sharing, search for my name on the domain, and
11 > grant me permissions. You're not going to get an experience anything
12 > like that with scp or nfs or ftp. Heck, nfs is almost completely
13 > insecure in the way most people use it.
14
15 I'm an absolute windows noop. I only use it for graphics work. I even
16 didn't know that such a kind of file sharing is possible with it. :-)
17
18 > I don't just want to copy a file from point A to point B. I want to
19 > have a robust set of permissions and security and so on behind that.
20 > If a user changes their password, that password gets them access to
21 > everything they used to have access to, and none of those random
22 > clients ever see the password.
23 >
24 > Sure, you can do it on linux with lots of NFSv4 and kerberos and all
25 > that. But it is painful to set up and almost nobody actually seems to
26 > do it as a result. You can also do something like Bitlocker on linux,
27 > but there isn't a single distro that supports it out of the box
28 > because it uses a lot of features nobody has bothered to seriously
29 > develop. (Before somebody points out LUKS, be aware that Bitlocker
30 > lets you do full-disk encyption that is secure without having to
31 > actually type a decryption key at any point. Remove the hard drive or
32 > boot from a CD, and the disks are unreadable - you can only read them
33 > if you boot off them on the original PC.)
34
35 I never thought about such operating ranges. But maybe these are some
36 of the reasons why windows held 43% of the server OS market share in
37 Q4/2013, according to an article that I read some months ago.
38
39 > It is just a bit frustrating to behold. But, I'm getting what I'm
40 > paying for, so... :)
41
42 That's right. I think that the effort and the outlay to implement all
43 these features into Linux is relative high. It seems that no vendor
44 is willing to assume such a financial risk.
45
46 Maybe it is time for another crowd founding campaign? ;-)
49 Regards
50 wabe