From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 11:13:18
1 On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 12:22 AM, <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm an absolute windows noop. I only use it for graphics work. I even
4 > didn't know that such a kind of file sharing is possible with it. :-)
7 No worries - I think that is a great place to be. However, it is
8 useful to understand what ideas are out there, since some of them are
9 actually good ones.
10
11 The foundation of these kinds of features in windows is that their
12 user IDs are essentially GUIDs (a combination of an authentication
13 server and a unique ID I believe):
14 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Identifier
15
16 This is in contrast to a linux UID, which is just a small number. You
17 might be UID 0 on your box, and I'm UID on mine. The UID of the
18 administrator account of every windows box out there is unique. That
19 avoids all kinds of issues, like the whole nfs root-is-nobody design.
20 You can "chown" a windows file to a UID which isn't native to the
21 machine - the machine would authenticate anybody trying to read it
22 against the machine that assigned the UID.
23
24 It isn't perfect, but it seems like a better foundation for this sort of thing.
27 > That's right. I think that the effort and the outlay to implement all
28 > these features into Linux is relative high. It seems that no vendor
29 > is willing to assume such a financial risk.
30 >
31 > Maybe it is time for another crowd founding campaign? ;-)
34 Well, changing how user IDs would be a big task (as far as I'm aware).
35
36 However, the bit about Bitlocker isn't actually. You just need to use
37 trusted grub, some vanilla kernel config options, and probably some
38 logic in the initramfs and userspace. There is already a linux
39 solution for TPM at every layer of the boot chain, which allows a
40 userspace program in an initramfs to store an encryption key in the
41 TPM and retrieve it only if the boot chain isn't tampered with. You
42 just need to put together the pieces.
43
44 I could probably hack something together in a few days. The trick is
45 getting it to survive things like kernel updates and for it to be
46 robust. You need to ensure that anything that legitimately changes
47 your boot chain updates all the settings in the TPM so that on the
48 next boot the keys are still delivered. Otherwise your drive becomes
49 unreadable, and difficult to recover (well, unless you escrow the
50 encryption keys somewhere, which you certainly can do).
53 Rich