From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel 2 manual
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 23:23:54
1 João Matos wrote:
2 > Hi list.
3 >
4 > I've been using Gentoo for quite a long time, and today I decided to
5 > try compiling the kernel myself, Thing I've never done before. I want
6 > a smaller kernel, a faster boot (without initramfs) and, of course,
7 > some fun :).
8 >
9 > I'm still reading the oficial documentation, but I don't think it will
10 > be enough, so, if anyone of you know some documentation more detailed,
11 > I'd appreciate reading it.
12 >
13 > I've just ran 'make xconfig', and I noticed that the configuration is
14 > the same from genkernel (genkernel --menuconfig). Is it good? Should I
15 > get an original .conf, with less garbage, or this is just the 'normal
16 > default' instead of 'genkernel default' as I'm guessing?
17 >
18 > Is there any tool that can scan my pc and help me out with the .conf
19 > or even generate one? I guess not. There are lots of options that I
20 > have no idea what they are for. I think this will be the fun part, but
21 > I think I can't get a running kernel before I optimize it, so I can do
22 > it gradually.
23 >
24 > Just for curiosity, what is the size of your kernel? Mine is 3.4 MB.
25 >
26 > Thank you,
27 > --
28 > João de Matos
29 > Linux User #461527
33 I would add lspci -k since it lists not only modules but built in
34 drivers as well. Generally, if you have all those included, then you
35 are doing fine hardware wise. In menuconfig, just hit the / key and
36 search for the driver. Also, on the results of the search, it shows the
37 path to the page the driver is on too. Some of them hide pretty good at
38 times.
39
40 Also, don't forget that some things have to be built in and not as
41 modules. Things like file system that root is on, drive controller so
42 that the drives can be seen and maybe even mouse/keyboard stuff.
43
44 Some say not to but I just build everything into my kernel. The only
45 modules I have is nvidia for my video drivers. Everything else is built
46 in. Should work either way as long as the must haves are built in.
47
48 One more thing, keep a couple known good kernels laying around just in
49 case you really mess up. At least you can boot a old one to fix the new
50 one. ;-) Don't ask how I learned this sort of thing. :/
51
52 Dale
53
57 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!