From: Norberto Bensa <nbensa@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pratical question about portage tree
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:03:54
1 Nick Rout wrote:
2 >
3 > portage knows where to download the files from, and you have told it
4 > where the best mirrors are for you, why second guess it!
5
6 What I've made is download _only_ needed files. For this to work, I've had to
7 remove path names (i.e. http://download.from.server.tld/path/to/filename.tgz
8 becomes filename.tgz)
11 > for package in `cat packlist` ; do DISTDIR=/where/ever/i/want emerge
12 > --nodeps -f =$package; done
13
14 This assumes _both_ machines have Gentoo _and_ exactly the same USE flags.
17 > --nodeps will make sure that your connected host doesn't substitute its
18 > own idea of what the deps are (perhaps based on different USE flags)
19
20 In most cases, you will end with partially downloaded packages.
23 > In other words let your network connected host choose where to download
24 > from.
25
26 My method, although not the best, works under Windows and other OSes too ;-)
30 > --
31 > Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
32
33 Best regards,