From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pratical question about portage tree
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:29:25
1 On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:58:52 -0300
2 Norberto Bensa wrote:
3
4 > Nick Rout wrote:
5 > >
6 > > portage knows where to download the files from, and you have told it
7 > > where the best mirrors are for you, why second guess it!
8 >
9 > What I've made is download _only_ needed files. For this to work, I've had to
10 > remove path names (i.e. http://download.from.server.tld/path/to/filename.tgz
11 > becomes filename.tgz)
14 > > for package in `cat packlist` ; do DISTDIR=/where/ever/i/want emerge
15 > > --nodeps -f =$package; done
16 >
17 > This assumes _both_ machines have Gentoo _and_ exactly the same USE flags.
20 > > --nodeps will make sure that your connected host doesn't substitute its
21 > > own idea of what the deps are (perhaps based on different USE flags)
22 >
23 > In most cases, you will end with partially downloaded packages.
27 No it won't, why do you say that (although please read below because I
28 realise that there is an error with my strtegy because of the possible
29 difference in USE flags)
30
31 > > In other words let your network connected host choose where to download
32 > > from.
33 >
34 > My method, although not the best, works under Windows and other OSes too ;-)
35
36 That was not the question posed. The question assumed:
37
38 Machine A with updated portage and all updates emerged.
39 Machine B with poor network access, and its portage updated from Machine A
40
41 So both machines will have the same portage, but admittedly may not have
42 the same USE flags.
43
44 I think you are right in saying that the USE flag differences will cause problems with my method. This is because:
45
46 1. Different USE flags may result in different dependencies for a given
47 package; and
48
49 2. Different USE flags may result in different download files even
50 within the same package.
51
52 OTOH your approach has problems in that not all files reside on gentoo
53 mirrors, some reside on sourceforge or other more obscure places.
54
55 IMHO my approach can be fixed by:
56
57 1. On machine B, as well as running:
58
59 emerge -uDp world|grep ebuild|awk '{print($4)}'>packlist
60
61 also run:
62
63 emerge info|grep USE |cut -d\" -f2 > B.uselist
64
65 2. On machine A, instead of running:
66
67 for package in `cat packlist` ; do DISTDIR="/where/ever/i/want" GENTOO_MIRRORS="local
68 /usr/portage/distfiles" emerge --nodeps -f =$package; done
69
70 run:
71
72 for package in `cat packlist` ; do DISTDIR="/where/ever/i/want" GENTOO_MIRRORS="local
73 /usr/portage/distfiles" USE="-* `cat B.uselist` emerge --nodeps -f
74 =$package; done
77 emerge will use the USE list from machine B, and will collect files
78 locally before grabbing them from the net.
79
80 Certainly, like most of linux, there is more than one way to do it. :-)
90 > > --
91 > > Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
92 >
93 > Best regards,