From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Screen sharing software or similar
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:42:59
1 On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 02:15:52PM +0100, Renat Golubchyk wrote:
2 > My relatives live 200 km away. They have a daughter, and I need to help
3 > her out with school homework etc. At the moment we cannot do it on a
4 > regular basis, because doing it over the phone is really difficult and
5 > time consuming. I thought some screen sharing software would solve
6 > this. A video conferencing or a VoIP feature would be a nice bonus,
7 > too. For easy writing I would probably buy graphics tablets since
8 > writing math formulas or drawing isn't particularly fast or easy with
9 > keyboard and mouse.
10 >
11 > So, is there some easy-to-use Linux program? I have Linux desktops on
12 > both ends (Ubuntu and Gentoo), so portability or OS-independence is not
13 > a requirement.
14
15 Skype + gimp/inkscape ?
16
17 Use your tablet to draw in any image editing program. Save to file.
18 Skype has the ability to send file on demand. It will be slightly
19 slower, but still faster than just talking. I know Skype has a lot of
20 "Whiteboard" plugins, but they look like they only work for Windows
21 clients. (Back in the 90s my father and I used to use this internet
22 voice chat software called Aloha that has whiteboards built-in.)
23
24 Or maybe Coccinella?
25 http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-im/coccinella
26 Its package description says "Jabber Client with Built-in Whiteboard
27 and VoIP". I've never used it myself. You can probably grok through
28 the net-im category yourself to find others.
29
30 Cheers,
31
32 W
35 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
36 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
37 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton