From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openshot-2.0.6.ebuild
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 09:40:22
1 On Friday 25 March 2016 10:03:34 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 24/03/2016 19:19, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 24 March 2016 11:54:03 Dale wrote:
4 > >> I'm not sure if this has changed but I think it used to be recommended
5 > >> not to set Python 3 stuff to active, at the time anyway. That may have
6 > >> changed. I read that either here or on -dev a good while back. May
7 > >> want to see what others think on this or it could be that everything
8 > >> you
9 > >> use works fine that way.
10 > >
11 > > I saw that too, and I've always been sure to eselect python to 2.7, but
12 > > for a long time now the installation CD has come with 3.3 or 3.4 set,
13 > > so I assume it's okay to eselect 3.4 nowadays.
14 >
15 > It's probably not safe, python2 and python3 are basically different
16 > languages, not really compatible. Out there in the wild, there are still
17 > more python apps not migrated to use python3 than have been migrated.
18 >
19 > A user has 2 choices:
20 >
21 > - set python2 as default and configure packages that can use python3 to
22 > use it
23 > - set python3 as default and configure packages that requires python2 to
24 > use it
25 >
26 > Which method you use depends entirely on what packages you use.
27
28 But Gentoo has two python versions set: a python 2 and a python 3. I assume
29 that ebuilds specify which version they need, so the default is rarely used.
30
31 In that case it won't matter which is set as default.
34 Rgds
35 Peter
36
37 linux counter 5290, 1994/04/23