From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openshot-2.0.6.ebuild
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 08:03:53
1 On 24/03/2016 19:19, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Thursday 24 March 2016 11:54:03 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm not sure if this has changed but I think it used to be recommended
5 >> not to set Python 3 stuff to active, at the time anyway. That may have
6 >> changed. I read that either here or on -dev a good while back. May
7 >> want to see what others think on this or it could be that everything you
8 >> use works fine that way.
9 >
10 > I saw that too, and I've always been sure to eselect python to 2.7, but for
11 > a long time now the installation CD has come with 3.3 or 3.4 set, so I
12 > assume it's okay to eselect 3.4 nowadays.
16 It's probably not safe, python2 and python3 are basically different
17 languages, not really compatible. Out there in the wild, there are still
18 more python apps not migrated to use python3 than have been migrated.
19
20 A user has 2 choices:
21
22 - set python2 as default and configure packages that can use python3 to
23 use it
24 - set python3 as default and configure packages that requires python2 to
25 use it
26
27 Which method you use depends entirely on what packages you use.
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com