From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't kill Firefox!
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:07:42
1 On Friday 22 July 2011 16:39:41 Sebastian Beßler did opine thusly:
2 > Am 22.07.2011 15:13, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
3 > > maybe it is not KDE's fault when firefox is badly coded?
4 >
5 > Lets think.
6 > KDE4+Firefox = X hangs and firefox can't be killed
7 > XFCE4+Firefox = no problems
8 >
9 > Sure, it has to be firefox
10 >
11 > Oh and a test 20 minutes ago showed
12 >
13 > KDE4+Chromium = X hangs and chromium can't be killed
14 > XFCE4+Chromium = no problems
15 >
16 > It looks like there is a pattern but I could be wrong.
17
18 It may look like KDE is the likely culprit based on just the
19 information you provide, but I would be more inclined to look at
20 browser plugins first, concentrating on those with both Firefox and
21 Chromium versions from the same developer team.
22
23 FF, Chromium, KDE, XFCE are all large projects with large userbases.
24 The odds of dumbass bugs remaining in the code tends to decrease with
25 such projects. Compare that to niche plugins which do not have the
26 same eyeball visibility.
27
28 There could be a cornercase bug in KDE that only shows up on your
29 specific combination, or maybe there is some edge KDE app you use that
30 disagrees with violently with FF. Or maybe it's the video driver that
31 doesn't actually do what it tells KDE it can do (remember the
32 painfully slow nVidia drivers with early KDE4?)
33
34 The point I'm making is that your data set and initial conclusions
35 appear far too simplistic and have not taken the real world into
36 account.
37
38 You have a mere correlation, you cannot conclude causation from that
39 data yet.
42 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com