From: "Sebastian Beßler" <sebastian@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't kill Firefox!
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 17:05:33
1 Am 22.07.2011 16:57, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2
3 > It may look like KDE is the likely culprit based on just the
4 > information you provide, but I would be more inclined to look at
5 > browser plugins first, concentrating on those with both Firefox and
6 > Chromium versions from the same developer team.
7
8 I have zero browser plugins installed. So that is not the culprit. And
9 why should plugins lock up X when used under KDE but not under XFCE?
10 The problem that X freezes with KDE4 is more likely with webbrowsers but
11 happend when using other programms too. But because of the fact that one
12 or more browsers are nearly always running it is hard to find a freeze
13 without a browser running.
14
15 > There could be a cornercase bug in KDE that only shows up on your
16 > specific combination, or maybe there is some edge KDE app you use that
17 > disagrees with violently with FF. Or maybe it's the video driver that
18 > doesn't actually do what it tells KDE it can do (remember the
19 > painfully slow nVidia drivers with early KDE4?)
20
21 I use the opensource drivers for ati-cards. So t is unlikely to be
22 driver related.
23
24 I use no edge KDE apps only amarok, yakuake, kate, konsole, dolphin,
25 ktorrent from time to time. All of them but dolphin is still in use
26 under xfce4 so I think I can rule them out too.
27
28 I know it could still be a truckload of other things, but as a fan of
29 Ockham's razor I still say that KDE4 is broken.
30
31 Greetings
32
33 Sebastian Beßler