From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Choice of Photo gallery tools
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 06:33:01
1 On Thursday 18 February 2010 01:35:12 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 17:14 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
3 > > I wondered if anyone here can speak on the various photo and gallery
4 > > generating tools available on linux.
5 > >
6 > > I have photos on smugmug.com and wondered if there is do it yourself
7 > > tools that come anywhere close the sophisticated handling they do.
8 >
9 > never tried smugmug and don't know what your requirements are, but I
10 > push JAlbum. You can create some pretty good looking albums and run
11 > them from CD / HD / webserver (I especially like the fact that you don't
12 > need a webserver). It can synchronise to your website. There are a
13 > plethora of options and free + commercial skins, plus plug-ins to let
14 > you sell them online.
15 >
16 > Unfortunately it's just the generation tool, you have to find your own
17 > hosting.
18
19 A really low-tech solution that was more than enough for me was the ability of
20 Konqueror 3.x to generate an html page with thumbnails and link it to the
21 folder with all your chosen photos. With KDE4 I had to install kim4 for
22 editing my pics and creating an html gallery.
25 Regards,
26 Mick