From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using a HD with bad sectors
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 12:22:57
1 On 5 May 2008, at 04:14, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > ...
3 > The question is: should I use it at all (for any use, external HD or
4 > internal with operating system), or is it sufficient to let the fsck
5 > tool mark the bad sectors and just keep using it?
6 > ...
7
8 Here the cheapest 2.5" harddrive I can buy is £26.05 + VAT, and it's
9 a 5400rpm Maxtor 80gig drive.
10
11 For my money it's not worth using a flakey drive.
12
13 > I use nearly 100% of the space available, and regularly compare
14 > cksums, so if anything was deteriorating, I would know.
17 If you're confident in that assessment then you'll be fine with the
18 old drive, but if you have to ask, then maybe I'd just replace it.
19
20 Stroller.
21 --
22 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list