From: Bill Roberts <billbalt@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:15:03
1 On 11:20 Wed 16 Nov , Derek Tracy wrote:
2 > After restarting I noticed that ipw2200 did not load properly was posted
3 > in my boot mesg WTF. I distinctly remembered during the install that I
4 > waited until after I installed the kernel, then I went ahead and installed
5 > the external modules. (NOTE: I did not use the built in kernel modules
6 > for ipw2200 or ieee80211 I had read too many horror stories about
7 > incompatible versions of ipw2200-firmware and I have always had good luck
8 > with the external drivers) One other thing, instead of going for pure on
9 > the edge goodness of using a Nitro-esque kernel (one optimized for speed
10 > over stability) I decided to use Gentoo-sources again trusting the
11 > developers judgement. After searching through tons of articles regarding
12 > ipw2200 drivers not working with the latest "Stable" Gentoo-Sources I
13 > decided to go with the kernel drivers and give them a shot. I recompiled
14 > rebooted and low and behold the drivers still weren't working. After
15 > trying all sorts of different combinations Unstable versions of this
16 > stable versions of that. Nothing worked, so I proceeded to reboot back
17 > into the livecd and re-chroot into my system so I could get a network
18 > connection and install the Madwifi Drivers, for a pcmcia card that I have
19 > laying around. Also note that the Madwifi drivers are considered
20 > Unstable. I rebooted the computer and the drivers actually worked (Yea
21 > Unstable). So I got the network connection up, then I decided to go ahead
22 > and install X (I thought that it would be easier to troubleshoot the ipw
23 > drivers from a graphical environment copy, paste, multiple xterms.). Well
24
25 Maybe this will help a little. I am using the ipw2200 drivers, and they
26 work fine. I am using the gentoo-sources kernel, 2.6.13-r4, with
27 ipw2200-1.0.6-r3. My eix shows ipw2200-firmware 2.3 and 2.4 installed (I
28 guess they are slotted), I'm not sure which one is being loaded. I tried
29 upgrading to 2.6.14, wireless broke (I think that's when I tried loading
30 the 2.4 firmware), so I went back to my current kernel. I'll hang out here
31 for a while, 'til they get the bugs worked out of 2.6.14.
32
33 I have an ati video, so no help there.
34
35 My intial approach to my new laptop was a bit different than yours. Though
36 I've been doing Gentoo three years, I've never done it on a laptop, never
37 done Linux or wireless on a laptop. I've had good luck with Ubuntu, wanted
38 to try their newest, so I loaded it up first, to get info on hardware, get
39 a working xorg.conf, etc. Had a fully functional laptop in less than an
40 hour.
41
42 I then set up a dual boot gentoo, used the xorg.conf from Ubuntu,
43 cherry-picked a few ideas from the nicely done Ubuntu. I've added
44 additional functionality to my Gentoo build as I've needed it. So now,
45 every time I fire up, I always have a choice. I can use the fully loaded
46 Ubuntu, which I love for its ease of installation and administration, or I
47 can use Gentoo, my stripped down hot rod, which on occasion gives me fits.
48 Gentoo gets the nod every time, unless I'm looking for a bit of freecell.
49 Why?, I ask myself. I think it's the same reason I liked to take watches
50 apart when I was a kid. I want to know how things work. I love the Zen-like
51 aesthetic, starting with a blank slate, and adding only what is absolutely
52 essential. No cruft.
53
54 It's not for everyone, and it's not the "only true way". But it works for
55 me.
56
57 Good Luck
58