From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] apcupsd to recycle power
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 16:54:35
1 on 11/15/2014 04:59 PM Mick wrote the following:
2 > On Saturday 15 Nov 2014 14:22:47 Thanasis wrote:
3 >>
4 >> The PC has an option in BIOS to "Power On" when the mains power is
5 >> restored to it, without any need to press any button.
6 >> So, once the UPS has initiated a shutdown to the PC, the PC will
7 >> shutdown, and if the mains power is restored (to the UPS) shortly after
8 >> the PC has shutdown, how will the UPS make the PC come back on, unless
9 >> it cuts (kills) the power to PC's cord, and then restores it after a few
10 >> seconds.
11 >> See the link Mick posted in his reply:
12 >> http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/manual.html#arranging-for-reboot-on-power-up
13 >
14 > On the same page it lists a number of tests you can perform:
15 >
16 > http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/manual.html#testing-apcupsd
17 >
18 > Have you been through them and in particular the "Full Power Down Test"? If
19 > yes, did you wait long enough after the PC has powered down, for the UPS to
20 > also switch off (you can affect the overall waiting time by setting a shorter
21 > TIMEOUT value, rather than waiting for the batteries to go flat).
22
23 Yes I have set the TIMEOUT to 30 (seconds) in /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf,
24 and run the tests. Waited more than 3 minutes after the PC powers off,
25 the UPS will not kill the power.
28 > If this does not get you somewhere, I recommend you post to the
29 > nut-upsuser@×××××××××××××××××××.org (you'll need to register first).
30
31 Is the above list (nut-upsuser@×××××××××××××××××××.org) also appropriate
32 for apcupsd users?
33
34 > The
35 > developers and contributors are offering friendly advice and are very
36 > knowledgeable on all things UPS related, including annoying bugs with firmware
37 > that defeat reason.
38 >
39 > PS. The services I listed running are particular to my UPS, I expect different
40 > to your APC unit.
41 >
42 Yes, because they belong to sys-power/nut. I 've been talking about
43 sys-power/apcupsd, as I said in first post.
44 (Should I switch to sys-power/nut?)