From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 11:45:22
1 On Sat, 10 Oct 2020, Michael wrote:
2
3 > Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 06:46:18
4 > From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
5 > Reply-To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]
8 >
9 > On Saturday, 10 October 2020 10:13:42 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
10 > > On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 19:55:20 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
11 > > > If I have a desktop on a machine I go with mate when possible since I
12 > > > never liked unity when it was part of gnome.
13 > >
14 > > Then use the plain desktop profile.
15 > >
16 > > > I ought to check in on
17 > > > lxqt since that's what Linus Torvalds was using last time I read about
18 > > > that.
19 > >
20 > > that's probably changed, Linus seems to change his opinions about such
21 > > things as often as he changes his underwear. Just use what you like, he
22 > > will both agree and disagree with you at least once in the next year :)
23 >
24 > This wiki page explains portage profiles, what they mean and how they can be
25 > customised if so desired.
26 >
27 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Profile_(Portage)
28 >
29 > It is better you do not install any 17.0 profile, since 17.1 profiles went
30 > stable more than a year ago. Install your choice of a 17.1 profile instead.
31 > There have been a number of significant changes with the introduction of 17.1,
32 > which will add to you workload unnecessarily if you first go with 17.0 and
33 > then you inevitably decide to upgrade to 17.1 some day in the future.
37 I ended up going with 17.1 since I downloaded the current-stage3-amd64
38 package and the Handbook made it clear the profile needs to match the
39 stage3 file you download.
40
41 I didn't emerge portaudio or pulseaudio before emerging espeak so will
42 have to reemerge espeak to pick those USE variables up.
43 Another mistake I made was emerging espeak before emerging
44 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources but since I'll have to reemerge, the
45 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources package has been emerged on the system now. The
46 right order of operations here is critical!