From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 12:19:16
1 On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 07:45:14AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
2 > I didn't emerge portaudio or pulseaudio before emerging espeak so will
3 > have to reemerge espeak to pick those USE variables up.
4
5 You don't *need* portaudio or Pulse, but then you'll only be able to create WAV
6 files, and not have the audio played live [1]. The developers should probably
7 set one of them to be enabled by default in IUSE, since only creating WAV files
8 is a very unusual use-case for a screen-reader.
9
10 > Another mistake I made was emerging espeak before emerging
11 > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources but since I'll have to reemerge, the
12 > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources package has been emerged on the system now. The
13 > right order of operations here is critical!
14
15 That's quite rare for Gentoo; Portage usually takes care of all that type of
16 thing without requiring manual user interaction. The gentoo-sources ebuild
17 doesn't really do much, aside from calling a couple of functions in the
18 `kernel-2` eclass [2, 3] to extract the sources, generate the symlinks, and
19 check for any potential versioning issues.
20
21 Can you provide some more details? Why is the order relevant?
22
23 [1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/app-accessibility/espeak/espeak-1.48.04-r1.ebuild#n93
24 [2] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/eclass/kernel-2.eclass#n1603
25 [3] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/eclass/kernel-2.eclass#n1005