From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 14:00:11
1 On Sat, 10 Oct 2020, Ashley Dixon wrote:
2
3 > Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 08:17:07
4 > From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
5 > Reply-To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]
8 >
9 > On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 07:45:14AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
10 > > I didn't emerge portaudio or pulseaudio before emerging espeak so will
11 > > have to reemerge espeak to pick those USE variables up.
12 >
13 > You don't *need* portaudio or Pulse, but then you'll only be able to create WAV
14 > files, and not have the audio played live [1]. The developers should probably
15 > set one of them to be enabled by default in IUSE, since only creating WAV files
16 > is a very unusual use-case for a screen-reader.
17 >
18 > > Another mistake I made was emerging espeak before emerging
19 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources but since I'll have to reemerge, the
20 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources package has been emerged on the system now. The
21 > > right order of operations here is critical!
22 >
23 > That's quite rare for Gentoo; Portage usually takes care of all that type of
24 > thing without requiring manual user interaction. The gentoo-sources ebuild
25 > doesn't really do much, aside from calling a couple of functions in the
26 > `kernel-2` eclass [2, 3] to extract the sources, generate the symlinks, and
27 > check for any potential versioning issues.
28 >
29 > Can you provide some more details? Why is the order relevant?
30 >
31 > [1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/app-accessibility/espeak/espeak-1.48.04-r1.ebuild#n93
32 > [2] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/eclass/kernel-2.eclass#n1603
33 > [3] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/eclass/kernel-2.eclass#n1005
39 If you have portaudio or pulseaudio and alsa in your USE variables already
40 then espeak will pull those in and build so it can do more than make wav
41 files. Same with speech-dispatcher for other screen readers. I was being
42 conservative with what I put in my USE variable and added things to it as
43 I found things out.
44
45 I did make menuconf in /usr/src/linux and in devices->staging drivers I
46 found nothing to enable. Speakup got moved out of staging so that's
47 understandable. in device drivers->accessibility all I found was enable
48 app-accessibility which I turned on. Is speakup.synth=soft stored in the
49 runtime driver for espeak now?