From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 15:52:15
1 On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 10:00:04 -0400,
2 Jude DaShiell wrote:
3 >
4 > On Sat, 10 Oct 2020, Ashley Dixon wrote:
5 >
6 > > Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 08:17:07
7 > > From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
8 > > Reply-To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
9 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
10 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]
11 > >
12 > > On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 07:45:14AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
13 > > > I didn't emerge portaudio or pulseaudio before emerging espeak so will
14 > > > have to reemerge espeak to pick those USE variables up.
15 > >
16 > > You don't *need* portaudio or Pulse, but then you'll only be able to create WAV
17 > > files, and not have the audio played live [1]. The developers should probably
18 > > set one of them to be enabled by default in IUSE, since only creating WAV files
19 > > is a very unusual use-case for a screen-reader.
20 > >
21 > > > Another mistake I made was emerging espeak before emerging
22 > > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources but since I'll have to reemerge, the
23 > > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources package has been emerged on the system now. The
24 > > > right order of operations here is critical!
25 > >
26 > > That's quite rare for Gentoo; Portage usually takes care of all that type of
27 > > thing without requiring manual user interaction. The gentoo-sources ebuild
28 > > doesn't really do much, aside from calling a couple of functions in the
29 > > `kernel-2` eclass [2, 3] to extract the sources, generate the symlinks, and
30 > > check for any potential versioning issues.
31 > >
32 > > Can you provide some more details? Why is the order relevant?
33 > >
34 > > [1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/app-accessibility/espeak/espeak-1.48.04-r1.ebuild#n93
35 > > [2] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/eclass/kernel-2.eclass#n1603
36 > > [3] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/eclass/kernel-2.eclass#n1005
40 > --
41 >
42 > If you have portaudio or pulseaudio and alsa in your USE variables already
43 > then espeak will pull those in and build so it can do more than make wav
44 > files. Same with speech-dispatcher for other screen readers. I was being
45 > conservative with what I put in my USE variable and added things to it as
46 > I found things out.
47 >
48 > I did make menuconf in /usr/src/linux and in devices->staging drivers I
49 > found nothing to enable. Speakup got moved out of staging so that's
50 > understandable. in device drivers->accessibility all I found was enable
51 > app-accessibility which I turned on. Is speakup.synth=soft stored in the
52 > runtime driver for espeak now?
57 In kernel 5.4.69 its in staging, I would suggest you get that shource
58 -- no need to get the absolutely latest driver.
61 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
62 How do
63 you spend it?
64
65 John Covici wb2una