From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 21:05:26
1 On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 05:34:14 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > Similarly, PulseAudio may be better at handling complex situations
4 > like you describe. The yelling and screaming you're hearing are from
5 > the 99% of people whose setups are not complex enough to justify
6 > PulseAudio. Making 100% of setups more complex in order to handle the
7 > 1% of edge cases is simply wrong.
8
9 I think your percentage guesstimates may be more than a little out. I
10 have a bluetooth headset and bluetooth speakers, bought for use with my
11 phone. With that phone, they just work. Why should I expect any less from
12 a proper computer?
13
14 If you install a desktop system, you have a right to expect it to be able
15 to do all the desktop things. If you don't want that, choose a different
16 profile. You don't even need to fiddle with USE flags, .if you want a full
17 desktop setup just pick an appropriate profile; if you don't, ditto
18
19 I never saw the need for PA for my needs, but I needed to help someone
20 experiencing sound problem and they used PA, so I set the USE flag and
21 updated; expected some fun and games. But it all just carried on working.
22 I have more control options, which pleases me as a control freak, but the
23 default installation of PA was all but invisible.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Taglines are like cars - You get a good one, then someone nicks it.