From: Mike Huber <michael.huber@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Module philosophy: Compile-in or Load
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 06:49:25
1 Well, all mileage may vary.
2
3 Personally, I prefer to not have things loaded into the kernel when
4 I'm not using them. It's not really a performance or a memory saving
5 thing, but more of an OCD thing. I'm sure that, in the grand scheme
6 of things, the little time/power/whatever I save by keeping them out
7 of the kernel is far outweighed by the amount of time it takes to type
8 "modprobe x" when i remember I need to load the thing. Afterall, my
9 time at the command prompt is significantly more valuable than a few
10 extra cycles, or an extra 70-500K memory footprint.
11
12 The thing is, it really depends on how clean you keep your kernel
13 config. If you seriously go through the kernel config an make sure
14 that you only select the things which are appropriate for your system,
15 then you're fine. I've known people who just have almost everything
16 built as a module, and let kernel autoloading take care of figuring
17 out which one they need for their system (yes, terribly stupid and
18 inelegant, but it does solve the problem when you don't know how else
19 to do it). Also, compiling a whole tree of modules can be a simple
20 way of figuring out exactly which set of code corresponds to your
21 chipset, but that is not relevant to the current discussion.
22
23 Basically, I'd say that if it doesn't matter how the thing is loaded
24 into the kernel (I.E., no outside code relies on it being a module),
25 and if it's going to be loaded more than some threshold percentage of
26 time, just build it in. Unless you are facing some weird constraints,
27 anything resembling modern hardware can handle the slightly larger
28 kernel, and if you are facing those constraints, you probably already
29 know what you're doing much better than I'll ever be able to say.
30
31 As a side question for the list, when you load a module, you can pass
32 module options to it (at least, last I checked, this could be done to
33 specify things like the name of the interface on an internet driver,
34 debugging level, etc...). When you build something into the kernel,
35 is there an easy way to pass such options off to it? boot time
36 options? anyone know?
37
38 --Mike
39