From: Steven Susbauer <stupendoussteve@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Module philosophy: Compile-in or Load
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 06:09:13
1 On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
2
3 > I was wondering what gentoo-users think and practice about kernel
4 > modules. Do most compile them in the kernel or load them at boot-up.
5 >
6 > Note that I'm _NOT_ talking about those modules that have to be compiled
7 > in such as for your filesystem. This is about the other ones.
8 >
9 > I generally like to load them at boot-up. One reason is that I have
10 > heard that for suspend or hibernate to work, some modules have to be
11 > unloaded.
12 >
13 > On the other hand, compiling them in results in faster boot times.
14 >
15 > So, what do gentoo-users think?
16 >
17 > Tony
21 I have never used any modules that I didn't have to. At this point, I use
22 none. They are all compiled into the kernel, because I don't have a point
23 to unloading or loading. The only point for modules in any of my
24 experience is if you're often changing hardware (possibly a laptop with a
25 base station... or something?)
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list