From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Raspberry Pi with 8GB
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 13:44:27
1 On 6/8/20 8:27 PM, Alexandru N. Barloiu wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2020-06-08 at 20:16 -0400, james wrote:
3 >> Any pointers to codes that create a cluster and run on 64Bit arm low
4 >> power boards is welcome to post to this thread, or drop me a private
5 >> note.
6 >
7 > There is no such thing as cluster for arm. It's just daemons. You equip
8 > each pi with the things it's going to need. You treat them as normal
9 > computers.
10
11 Huh. Well, I've run across dozens of projects, some as old as 2015.
12 Sure, I have not 'dug into' the details, but they seem to be quite common::
13
14 https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/build-a-raspberry-pi-cluster-computer
15
16 https://makezine.com/projects/build-a-compact-4-node-raspberry-pi-cluster/
17
18 https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/build-an-octapi/
19
20 https://www.hackster.io/aallan/a-4-node-raspberry-pi-cluster-e19273
21
22 Granted, the term 'cluster' in the linux world is as open as the word
23 'cocktail' at a social gathering; ymmv.
27 > If you don't know how to start...
28 > https://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/arm64/
31 Great link. But I typically avoid all things 'systemD' centric. (no
32 discussion, just my preference).
33
34 However I did find this stage 4:
37 stage4-arm64-minimal-20190115.tar.bz2
38
39 at https://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/arm64/old/
40
41 Any idea how chip specific this stage 4 for arm64 is?
44 > there are actually some modern stage3 images. I suggest you google how
45 > to emulate arm64 using qemu-static. google crossdev as well. There are
46 > wonderful resources on the forums, some of which I participated in.
47
48 Not applicable. there are always a myriad of nuances with this approach,
49 as I often stray into unique and exotic hardware extensions. Some run
50 'clusters' on a collective of ity-bity IoT devices, cause they are
51 fairly close together over Rf links. Folks at the companies that build
52 chipsets, are very advanced in this venue. Most of it is DoD related and
53 quite hush_hush. A billionaires club, so to accurately categorize. But
54 there is no issue with gentoo folks finding their own pathways forward
55 with clustering arm/micro devices. It is the future and even IoT
56 security semantics will be based on each (I0T) nodes performance metrics
57 as opposed to traditional security (bloated) codes. These IoT comm
58 links, are like a predictable wave. Monitoring the wave, in the RF
59 domain, shows where and when a small portion of (for example) field IoT
60 sensors are stressed (under a heavier load than normal. So you do not
61 have to strictly depend on specific codes and filters to detect anomalies.
62
63 Monitor and matching of various domains yields startling results. BATM
64 it is more of an art from than consistent technology. Surely the good
65 folks of Gentoo will validate a pathway forward.
66
67 What I have discovered is there are an enormous amount of very technical
68 folks that routinely use gentoo, but keep it a secret.
71 > Good luck and happy hacking.
74 Gentoo, hacking and exotic hardware are more of an addiction than a
75 source of joy. Be at peace. and
76
77 THANKS for the link,
78 James