From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any good instructions for creating a Live CD?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:26:10
1 On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 09:02:11AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > >> Hi all,
5 > >> From a thread on another list (pro-audio/music oriented) we're
6 > >> thinking about creating our own Live CD. I'd like this at least
7 > >> initially to be based on Gentoo. Are there any good, up-to-date
8 > >> instructions around about how to do this?
9 > >>
10 > >> In Google Books I found something called "Linux Live CDs:Building
11 > >> and Customizing Bootables". It had the following link which is dead.
12 > >> Did it move somewhere? I cannot find it yet.
13 > >>
14 > >> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_Scratch
15 > >>
16 > >> I found this in the forums. Any idea about how well it might work?
17 > >>
18 > >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244837
19 > >>
20 > >> There's a section talking about Catalyst. The first thing is says
21 > >> is that it's not for the casual user. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult
22 > >> is something like this? (I suspect that if I have to ask it's too
23 > >> difficult.) ;-)
24 > >>
25 > >> Also this for general info:
26 > >>
27 > >> http://www.livecdlist.com/wiki/index.php/LiveCD_Creation_Resources
28 > >>
29 > >> Most interesting to me would be something like cloning an already
30 > >> up-and-running system. Is that possible?
31 > >>
32 > >> Thanks in advance,
33 > >> Mark
34 > >>
35 > >
36 > > Cloning a live system is pretty easy. I'm using a live usb boot device
37 > > based off of the gentoo-amd64 minimal cd (and I'm adding more as I go).
38 > > The liveUSB howto [1] on docs.gentoo.org is great and will answer most
39 > > questions.
40 > >
41 > > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml
42 > > --
43 > > Eric Martin
44 > > Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F
45 >
46 > Thanks Eric. I hadn't considered doing it on a USB drive but that's an
47 > interesting idea and the instructions don't look too bad.
48 >
49 > Cheers,
50 > Mark
53 If you want something easy to create a custom live cd I suggest you to
54 try SystemRescueCD. It is gentoo based annd offers all the tools you
55 need to create a custom cd.
56
57 I uually run it on a virtual machine and create my livecds.
58
59 Here are all the info you need:
60 http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_personalize_SystemRescueCd
63 TopperH