From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any good instructions for creating a Live CD?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:02:14
1 On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >> From a thread on another list (pro-audio/music oriented) we're
5 >> thinking about creating our own Live CD. I'd like this at least
6 >> initially to be based on Gentoo. Are there any good, up-to-date
7 >> instructions around about how to do this?
8 >>
9 >> In Google Books I found something called "Linux Live CDs:Building
10 >> and Customizing Bootables". It had the following link which is dead.
11 >> Did it move somewhere? I cannot find it yet.
12 >>
13 >> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_build_a_LiveCD_from_Scratch
14 >>
15 >> I found this in the forums. Any idea about how well it might work?
16 >>
17 >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244837
18 >>
19 >> There's a section talking about Catalyst. The first thing is says
20 >> is that it's not for the casual user. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult
21 >> is something like this? (I suspect that if I have to ask it's too
22 >> difficult.) ;-)
23 >>
24 >> Also this for general info:
25 >>
26 >> http://www.livecdlist.com/wiki/index.php/LiveCD_Creation_Resources
27 >>
28 >> Most interesting to me would be something like cloning an already
29 >> up-and-running system. Is that possible?
30 >>
31 >> Thanks in advance,
32 >> Mark
35 > Cloning a live system is pretty easy. I'm using a live usb boot device
36 > based off of the gentoo-amd64 minimal cd (and I'm adding more as I go).
37 > The liveUSB howto [1] on docs.gentoo.org is great and will answer most
38 > questions.
39 >
40 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml
41 > --
42 > Eric Martin
43 > Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F
44
45 Thanks Eric. I hadn't considered doing it on a USB drive but that's an
46 interesting idea and the instructions don't look too bad.
47
48 Cheers,
49 Mark