From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stale Samba in Portage
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:32:37
1 Its ok for a quick check - especially as I dont want ~x86 samba on that
2 system.
3
4 I regard /etc/portage and the way it has been done is a disaster waiting
5 to happen. You have files hidden away in there that unless you make the
6 effort, can (and do) keep insecure versions of software on your system -
7 make sure you regularly check what you put in there! It also did not
8 work properly on two of my systems (one has been decommissioned and the
9 other has been so much upgraded I think the problem has gone away - I
10 gave up after hours of trying to track down inconsistencies.
11
12 Sorry, but I hanker back to simpler times when -i made things so easy
13 and I didnt have to worry about someones idea of an "elegant" fix ...
14
15 BillK