From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Backup of remote virtual server
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:11:09
1 Hi,
2
3 I have a remote Gentoo virtual server and want to implement a better
4 backup/restore plan. There is no physical access to the server, so any
5 backup must be done over the Internet. Right now I just create the
6 occasional tarball and download it, and have used tar+ssh to restore,
7 but that's not complicated enough. ;)
8
9 The whole data uncompressed is about 5GiB but of course I can exclude
10 distfiles and save a lot of bytes. I don't need a dd backup of the
11 whole disk, just backup of its contents (complete system including /
12 and everything in it)
13
14 I'm curious what you, collective Gentoo-users, may be using to solve
15 this problem. rsync, rdiff-backup, rsnapshot, dirvish, bacula,
16 tar+ssh...?
17
18 To me, one of the most important things of any backup solution is the
19 ease at which data can be restored. In my case, restoration would
20 probably happen from remotely booting into a recovery liveCD or on a
21 new Gentoo virtual server image.
22
23 Thanks,
24 Paul