From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage screwup
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 02:04:16
1 On 04/20/13 01:13, Steven J. Long wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4 >If you want the option to rollback, you should use FEATURES=buildpkg[1] in
5 >general, and qpkg to make a binpkg from current system. qpkg is part of
6 >portage-utils, which is highly recommended. man q after you install it, and
7 >follow the instructions in einfo to get it to sync when portage does.
8
9 I am a holiday updater every second month or so; so at time to time I something get screw up and I got caught in between.
10 I was looking blindly as I didn't really know what to look for. I turn out it was a problem with recent gtk+ package.
11
12 I'm not sure if building binary is a solution for me.
13
14 >> >The version of poppler that you have masked ( 0.22.2-r2 ) is stable. So
15 >> >it's not a portage screw up, the problem is more that you are trying to
16 >> >install outdated software.
17 >>
18 >> I'm not getting any were with this; looking blindly trying to install older
19 >> versions hoping it might help..
20 >>
21 >> Maybe it is time for me to move to another distro.
22 >
23 >Why do you want an older version? I don't understand why you have 0.22.2-r2
24 >masked at all; it's in stable which means it's been tested by quite a few
25 >people already, and it is recommended that you upgrade.
26 >
27 >Just be sure to do a revdep-rebuild after you emerge -uD --changed-use world
28 >and depclean.
29 >
30 >As to attic stuff, as Neal said you need to copy ebuild and any needed files
31 >from the files subdir into a local overlay. You can read about how to do that
32 >at [2] but as I said, I don't think you should have stable poppler masked
33 >in the first place.
34
35 This atic stuff was explained to me on the forum in more details, I remember running overlay but it was long time ago so I had to have my memory refresh.
36
37 First we need in make.conf
38 PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
39
40 Next we need to find the package from:
41 http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/?hideattic=0
42
43 Download the ebuild (and any extra/patches) and put in in <path-to-overlay>/<category>/<packagename>
44 run full path name:
45 ebuild <path-to-overlay>/<category>/<packagename>/xxxx.ebuild manifest
46
47 It would be a good idea to have detailed instruction somewhere in Gentoo documentation.
50 Joseph