From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage screwup
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 23:48:14
1 On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 02:34:42PM -0600, Joseph wrote:
2 > On 04/18/13 22:10, Michael Hampicke wrote:
3 > >Am 18.04.2013 15:33, schrieb Joseph:
4 > >> What is going on with portage?
5 > >> All the older packages are being removed and and some of them are not
6 > >> even made stable.
7 > >>
8 > >> I've masked current one app-text/poppler-0.22.2-r2 but looking at the
9 > >> web-page this is not even stable poppler-0.22.3 is masked all across the
10 > >> previous version are all removed.
11 > >> All the packages that I recently try to roll back are gone, in most
12 > >> cases only one is available so there is no option to roll back.
13 > >>
14 > >> Am I missing something?
15 > >>
16 If you want the option to rollback, you should use FEATURES=buildpkg[1] in
17 general, and qpkg to make a binpkg from current system. qpkg is part of
18 portage-utils, which is highly recommended. man q after you install it, and
19 follow the instructions in einfo to get it to sync when portage does.
20
21 > >The version of poppler that you have masked ( 0.22.2-r2 ) is stable. So
22 > >it's not a portage screw up, the problem is more that you are trying to
23 > >install outdated software.
24 >
25 > I'm not getting any were with this; looking blindly trying to install older
26 > versions hoping it might help..
27 >
28 > Maybe it is time for me to move to another distro.
29
30 Why do you want an older version? I don't understand why you have 0.22.2-r2
31 masked at all; it's in stable which means it's been tested by quite a few
32 people already, and it is recommended that you upgrade.
33
34 Just be sure to do a revdep-rebuild after you emerge -uD --changed-use world
35 and depclean.
36
37 As to attic stuff, as Neal said you need to copy ebuild and any needed files
38 from the files subdir into a local overlay. You can read about how to do that
39 at [2] but as I said, I don't think you should have stable poppler masked
40 in the first place.
41
42 Regards,
43 steveL.
44
45 [1] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7165614.html#7165614
46 [2] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4547366.html#4547366
47 --
48 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)