From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB3 external storage HD's
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 22:18:39
1 On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 16:58:26 -0500,
2 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
3 >
4 > On 2018-01-18 13:44, R0b0t1 wrote:
5 >
6 > > Buy a SATA to USB3 enclosure and a 2.5" laptop drive separately.
7 >
8 > I got one of those (a Rosewill). First thing I noted was it got
9 > _really_ hot after a few minutes of use. Hot as in highly unpleasant to
10 > touch. Nonetheless I kept using it, but it stopped working as USB3
11 > after a month or two. Still works fine as USB2, doesn't get so hot
12 > anymore.
13 >
14 > The drive itself wasn't new, so maybe it just wasn't made for that speed?
15
16 I always get one of those with a fan but they are getting hard to come
17 by. Its vital to have enough cooling with a spinning drive. I have
18 some Startech's with fans, but they seem to have discontinued them.
21 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
22 How do
23 you spend it?
24
25 John Covici wb2una