From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lost Labyrinth
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 02:04:00
1 On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:48:45 +0200
2 Markus Döbele wrote:
3
4 > Okay, then lets use sourceforge.
5 > I will release a new version tonight! Will be 1.0.2.
6 >
7 > (Integrated 10 new magical items, The special levels look really nice now and
8 > I included a new one: underground forest. The dragon room is new. And we got
9 > a room for trainers now :-) )
10 >
11 > How do we handle it with sourceforge that we always get the newest version?
12 > Do I have to edit the same release all the time. Or is there a mechanism that
13 > gets the neweset file automatically?
14
15 The versioning is handled like this:
16
17 each ebuild has a name and version in it. I would call the current laby
18 ebuild laby-1.0.1.ebuild and it would include a line like:
19
20 SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/synce/${P}.tar.gz"
21
22 ${P} includes the version number automatically.
23
24 When a new version is released someone needs to write a new ebuild, but
25 as all versioning is handled automatically, this is usually just a
26 matter of copying the previous one and renaming it to e.g.
27 laby-1.0.2.ebuild.
28
29 portage picks up the new version number from the filename and adjusts
30 the download URL by virtue of the ${P} variable.
31
32 It does rely on you keeping the filenaming consistent and not suddenly
33 changing from laby-1.0.1.tar.gz to lostlabyrinth-1.0.2.tgz.
34
35 For more info see
36
37 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1