From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 20:59:01
1 On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 28/09/13 01:33, Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Bruce Hill wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> mingdao@workstation ~ $ eselect news read
7 >>> 2013-09-27-initramfs-required
8 >>> Title Separate /usr on Linux requires initramfs
9 >>> Author William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
10 >>> Posted 2013-09-27
11 >>> Revision 1
12 >>>
13 >>> Linux systems which have / and /usr on separate file systems but do not
14 >>> use an initramfs will not be supported starting on 01-Nov-2013.
15 >>> [...]
19 >> I'm hoping that since I use eudev, I don't have to worry about this. If
20 >> I do, this could get interesting, again.
23 > You do need to worry about this. Actually, you always had to worry about
24 > this. It's just that your specific configuration didn't blow up in a
25 > visible way. You might had problems already in the past, just not apparent
26 > ones. If you read the links posted in the announcement, you will see that
27 > the problem wasn't eudev or udev. It's all the other software on your
28 > system.
29 >
30 > eudev *cannot* fix that.
33 As far as I read, the problem is with bluetooth keyboards? and some
34 other devices and locales, which are minor for this decision of
35 removing supportability. Especially for servers and for most of
36 workstations. Most sane configuration can be supported with separate
37 /.
38
39 And of course there is the hidden systemd agenda, which is what I
40 suspect had more impact.
41
42 Regards,
43 Alon Bar-Lev.