From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:03:11
1 On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 05:42:25 +0000, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > Some comments were made recently about KDE4, where it was advised
4 > "don't try using just Kmail under a different window manager - use the
5 > whole KDE environment, but not single apps. Use something else instead
6 > of Kmail".
7
8 I took it more as "KDE programs are intended to be run on KDE, so don't
9 complain if they don't work as you want elsewhere". So if it works and
10 you are happy with it, why change?
11
12 > I like Knode's simple 3-pane layout. Knode has improved visually with
13 > the KDE4 release, but the much debated KDE4 dependencies thing.
14 >
15 > It has only just occurred to me today to ask if there's an alternative
16 > that looks & acts just the same, but which isn't part of the whole
17 > KDE4 environment.
18
19 I haven't done usenet in a while, but when I did I preferred Pan to
20 Knode. While I am a KDE fan, I do find myself using quite a few GTK apps
21 on my KDE desktop.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 The considered application of terror is also a form of communication.