From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:56:19
1 Am 27.01.2014 13:06, schrieb Helmut Jarausch:
2 > On 01/26/2014 08:55:35 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> Again, I think I'm just lucky.
4 >
5 > I don't think it's luck.
6 > A portage system likes to be updated very often (best: each day).
7 > I have made the experience that updating a machine which hasn't been
8 > updated
9 > for a long time (say one year), is just pain.
10
11 I agree ... I currently go through several such machines for customers
12 .. I am getting more experienced as I do the same tricky steps again and
13 again but my recommendation now is to get their boxes upgraded at least
14 once a year. Like the annual check for your car or something ...
15
16 I even consider to recommend them a quarterly review done by me and a
17 following offer to do the important/useful/easy/existing upgrades.
18
19 (this is from the view of a one-man-IT-consulter having X customers with
20 servers out there. I don't upgrade all around for free all the time)
21
22 Stefan