From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Service not started at specified runlevel
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 13:13:47
1 On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 2:48 PM, João Miguel <jmcf125@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > I am not using Gentoo, but if I ask this on the Arch Linux mailing lists
6 > I may get flamed, get no response, or both. I'm using OpenRC version
7 > 0.16.4, along with the audit init script from Gentoo (I'm attaching it
8 > anyway for future reference). Note: I added the depend() function
9 > (trying various dependencies) hoping it would have an effect on the
10 > service being started at the specified runlevel (it didn't).
11 >
12 > Here's my problem:
13 > # ls /etc/runlevels/default/auditd
14 > /etc/runlevels/default/auditd
15 > # rc-service auditd start ; echo $?
16 > auditd | * Starting auditd ...
17 > auditd | * start-stop-daemon: fopen `/var/run/auditd.pid': No
18 > such file or directory
19 > auditd | * Detaching to start `/sbin/auditd' ...
20 >
21 > [ ok ]
22 > auditd | * Loading audit rules from /etc/audit/audit.rules
23 > 0
24 > # rc-status -s | grep audit ; echo $?
25 > 1
26 >
27 > I have no idea of why it complains that file does not exist when running
28 > /sbin/auditd manually creates it right away. auditd works normally when
29 > started with the init script, but although I did 'rc-update add auditd
30 > default', it simply does not start when that runlevel is reached. dhcpcd
31 > and a few other services complain of the pid file not existing too and
32 > start at their runlevels. I think the warning is unrelated, openrc is
33 > likely checking for the PID files' existance too soon.
34 >
35 > Also, I'm using rc_parallel="YES", but have tried with "NO" and get the
36 > same result (i.e. no evidence of auditd even existing).
37 >
38 > I don't get it, I've created my own init script for other services, and
39 > those show up on rc-status, if I add them to some runlevel, no matter
40 > whether they fail, throw warnings, or start normally, they appear both
41 > at boot and I can check later in /var/log/rc.log. The only abnormal
42 > service is auditd. What is going on? Did I do something wrong?
43 >
44 > Thank you in advance,
45 > João Miguel
48 Try running 'strace' on ' rc-service auditd start'. See if that helps pin
49 down the problem.