From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] How to capture a screen video?
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 12:57:59
1 On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 13:43 +0100, Mick wrote:
2 > On 5 July 2010 08:43, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 06:57:12 +0100, Mick wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> PS. Google is only as good as your ability to find the terms by which
6 > >> you should be searching.
7 > >
8 > > Your question was "How to capture a screen video"m Googling for "linux
9 > > How to capture a screen video" gives several answers :)
10 >
11 > Yes, I googled trying not to be clever and asked:
12 >
13 > "How to record my desktop using Linux"
14 >
15 > but this brought up the recordmydesktop application. I thought there
16 > must be more ways, knowing of xvidcap but not remembering ffmpeg.
17 >
18 > At which point I thought, better ask the 'oracle' of all knowledge and
19 > posted in this M/L.
20 >
21 > A good keyword for a google search would have been "capture", but
22 > after a long day of bashing the keyboard I was pretty brain dead to
23 > come up with it! O_O
24 >
25 > Ditto for "screencast". All I could think at the time was I want to
26 > make a video of screenshots, or I want to record desktop events, none
27 > of which gave me a satisfactory answer.
28
29 Ive used recordmydesktop and it does a good job - however the windows
30 camtasia app has a better end product due to propriety codecs. I tried
31 many combinations on a recorded file to compress a recordmydesktop file
32 but never got near camtasias size/quality. It was acceptable though for
33 download.
34
35 There were also the usual problems of syncing audio, some formats
36 playing ok on some platforms and not on others etc that also make
37 getting a winning combination difficult.
38
39 Needs some kind of linux expert on the subject to produce a usable guide
40 to the many settings to get the best out of it.
41
42 BillK