From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KVM problems - anyone know _why_ it happens?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 19:32:42
1 On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM, G.Wolfe Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 01/22/2012 12:42 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> I played a bit with get-edid | parse-edid. Logically that stuff even
6 >>> working says the VGA monitor cable is bidirectional. I started wondering if
7 >>> the KVM messes up the data coming back, or what else might be going on.
8 >>> Thanks for the ideas, Mark
9 >>
10 >> Many of the cheap KVM models do, indeed, mess up the EDID data coming from
11 >> the monitor.  I suspect that this is from old design specs that have too
12 >> much pull-up/pull-down on the EDID lead since the boxen haven been
13 >> re-engineered for newer, higher resolution and higher speed monitors.
14 >>
15 >> I have had problems specifically with the BELKIN KVMs.
16 >>
17 >> It may also be that the video drivers for Linux are just enough different
18 >> (necessarily) from the MSFT drivers to not reliably sense the EDID return
19 >> signals.
20 >
21 > Concur. It sounds like the EDID block isn't making it back or is
22 > somehow messed up. x11-misc/read-edid would help in investigating that
23 > kind of issue.
26 Yeah, I did that sort of stuff already. It didn't tell me anything
27 specific as best I could tell. However I haven't done it with the KVM
28 out. Maybe comparing the two responses would give some clues.
29
30 Also, thanks for the pointer to xvidtune. Interesting little app.
31 QUESTION: Do you know how to get the data for each monitor/video card
32 combo? So far I haven't figured out how to tell it Screen2. Seems to
33 only give me Screen0 as best I can tell.
34
35 I'm a bit nervous to just start trying things.
36
37 Cheers,
38 Mark