From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KVM problems - anyone know _why_ it happens?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:09:17
1 On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM, G.Wolfe Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On 01/22/2012 12:42 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> I played a bit with get-edid | parse-edid. Logically that stuff even
7 >>>> working says the VGA monitor cable is bidirectional. I started wondering if
8 >>>> the KVM messes up the data coming back, or what else might be going on.
9 >>>> Thanks for the ideas, Mark
10 >>>
11 >>> Many of the cheap KVM models do, indeed, mess up the EDID data coming from
12 >>> the monitor.  I suspect that this is from old design specs that have too
13 >>> much pull-up/pull-down on the EDID lead since the boxen haven been
14 >>> re-engineered for newer, higher resolution and higher speed monitors.
15 >>>
16 >>> I have had problems specifically with the BELKIN KVMs.
17 >>>
18 >>> It may also be that the video drivers for Linux are just enough different
19 >>> (necessarily) from the MSFT drivers to not reliably sense the EDID return
20 >>> signals.
21 >>
22 >> Concur. It sounds like the EDID block isn't making it back or is
23 >> somehow messed up. x11-misc/read-edid would help in investigating that
24 >> kind of issue.
27 > Yeah, I did that sort of stuff already. It didn't tell me anything
28 > specific as best I could tell. However I haven't done it with the KVM
29 > out. Maybe comparing the two responses would give some clues.
30 >
31 > Also, thanks for the pointer to xvidtune. Interesting little app.
32 > QUESTION: Do you know how to get the data for each monitor/video card
33 > combo? So far I haven't figured out how to tell it Screen2. Seems to
34 > only give me Screen0 as best I can tell.
35 >
36 > I'm a bit nervous to just start trying things.
37
38 If you're not using Xinerama, you can specify screens by changing
39 $DISPLAY. e.g. :0.0 is screen 0, :0.1 is screen 1, :0.2 is screen 2...
42 :wq