From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: -march=auto
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 19:43:29
1 On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman just posted a link to a script that seems to do what I was
3 > looking for in the "[OT]eee 900a intel atom is what processor family?"
4 > thread: <http://www.pixelbeat.org/scripts/gcccpuopt>
5 >
6 > But it suggests using -march=k8 - isn't that a 64-bit-only thing? I'm not
7 > compiling for AMD64, I'm still using 32-bit mode. So I have -march=athlon-xp
8 > in my CFLAGS for my AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e CPU.
9
10 Hi,
11
12 That script says it is specifically for 32-bit only, so I think you
13 should be good.
14
15 According to:
16 http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.3.3/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html
17
18 It looks like that CPU type supports the amd64 instruction set but I
19 don't think itt necessarily means you are using it in 64-bit mode. I
20 think it would just simply not work at all if it's not valid for
21 32-bit mode.