From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is "-fomit-frame-pointer" a gcc default?
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 22:22:07
1 On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 16:53:40 -0400
2 waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 05:09:28PM -0500, »Q« wrote
5 > > On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 12:14:57 -0500
6 > > R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Pale Moon is routinely behind Firefox on security fixes (actual
9 > > > fixes, not wanking-in-a-corner fixes).
10 > >
11 > > Is anyone other than the Pale Moon team itself trying to track its
12 > > vulnerabilities? I could only find one CVE for it, from 2013.
13 >
14 > See http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml with several mentions
15 > of CVEs and other security fixes. Given the amount of Firefox code
16 > still present "under the hood", many Firefox security fixes will also
17 > apply to Pale Moon.
18
19 Checking just a few, the Pale Moon team takes anywhere from a few weeks
20 to a few months to fix security vulnerabilities which have been
21 published and fixed by Mozilla. And other Firefox CVEs aren't
22 listed by Pale Moon, so it's tough to tell whether or not Pale
23 Moon is/was affected. Maybe their fork of Gecko has diverged too much
24 to easily port Mozilla's fixes, I dunno. But not to worry, they have a
25 FAQ.
26
27 Is Pale Moon safe to use?
28
29 Absolutely! Pale Moon is based on the Mozilla release source code
30 that has a large community of developers and security-aware people,
31 next to having seen over a decade of development by now. [...]
32
33 OTOH, when it suits him, Moonchild stresses how very different his
34 codebase is now from Mozilla's.
35
36 AFAICS, no one but the Pale Moon team is tracking Pale Moon
37 vulnerabilities. I dunno what to make of their claims that it's safe
38 to use.