From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting Gentoo from USB stick
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:04:20
2 > If I give the root password, I can find no /dev/sda1.  However, mount shows
3 > /dev/sda1 on /, and there *is* a /sys/block/sda folders, with a sda1 folder
4 > in that as well.  It's almost like it had /dev/sda1, but then lost it
5 > somehow.
6 >
7 > Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?  Any help would be
8 > appreciated.
9
10 This may be a problem with the order of disks. If there is a harddisk
11 and a USB, which one is recognized as sda1? I guess that can even
12 depend on the BIOS settings.
13
14 Then there are differences between different versions of Grub (but you
15 already manged the Grub setup).
16
17 I came to the following solution for me to make things more easy:
18
19 I put Grub always on the harddisk. I have a little linux partion only
20 for the purpose to configure Grub. So it's unambiguously that the
21 harddisk is the first disk and that Grub is on the first disk.
22
23 Now I can freely experiment on all other partitions and disks. I never
24 install a bootloader on those other partitions.
25
26 Sure that doesn't work for a rescue system when the harddisk is
27 broken. In that case I would use any live CD.
28
29 Al