From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome 2.28
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 01:30:02
1 On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 17:31 -0700, walt wrote:
2 > On 05/11/2010 12:53 AM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
3 > > ...
4 > > I am at a point with evolution where I want 2.28 or 2.30
5 > > for exchange access so do I upgrade gnome to ~x86 (and work out any
6 > > kinks that will involve), do evolution only or wait?...
7 >
8 > I can predict that unmasking evolution alone is way too messy and
9 > painful to risk trying. I'm just guessing about unmasking ~gnome on
10 > an x86 machine, but my gut feeling is that it may be less messy, but
11 > still not completely free of headaches (more informed opinions are
12 > requested, of course).
13 >
14 > My only semi-helpful idea for dilemmas like yours is to learn to use
15 > VirtualBox so you can run an unstable version of gentoo on your stable
16 > gentoo machine without risking any possible(probable) disasters. It's
17 > a great product and well worth your time to learn to use it, IMO.
22 I already use vbox (there are currently 3 Fedora instances running in
23 vbox vm's on the gentoo box I am using to type this att and then there
24 is vmware on my laptop for work uses and qemu at home - for Fedora and
25 windows on gentoo :), however, running another operating system just to
26 read exchange email/calendaring (work nonsense!) - might just as well
27 give up and run windows and outlook in a vm. I am currently using
28 davmail to interface evo 2.26.3 to exchange and it works reasonably
29 well, but again I am hoping to use the advances in later evo versions to
30 go direct and not via a connector.
33 BillK