From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage blockage gnome-control-center vs gnome-media
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:34:41
1 On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:27 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > That caught me out a few times too. I put these commands into a bash
3 > alias:
4 >
5 > emerge --sync
6 > layman -S
7 > eix-update
8 >
9 > and use that to sync portage. That way I don't leave steps out.
10
11 Congratulations, you reinvented the "eix-sync" command. :)
12
13 You can put a list of layman overlays to be synced in
14 /etc/eix-sync.conf or a line simply containing an asterisk (*) to sync
15 'em all.
16
17 You can also put arbitrary post-sync commands in there, like if you
18 have an overlay that needs an egencache update or if you have some
19 local patches that you always apply to an ebuild from an overlay. (I
20 think most of that sort of thing is not necessary anymore because of
21 other, better ways of handling that.)