From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best way for good video performance in virtual machines
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 03:45:58
1 Ralf <ralf+gentoo@×××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hi out there,
4 >
5 > assume the following situation:
6 >
7 > I do have a minimalistic hypervisor running a minimalistic virtual
8 > machine (qemu with kvm, qxl and spice).
9 > Both systems, hypervisor and VM are able to run X servers and
10 > apllications. The graphics card of the hypervisor is connected to a
11 > monitor. This monitor only has to show one single standalone QT
12 > application which is running on the virtual machine.
13 >
14 > What will give me more video performance?
15 >
16 > 1. Running a minimalistic X server on the virtual machine showing the
17 > application AND running a minimalistic X server on the hypervisor
18 > running remote-viewer
19 > or
20 > 2. Running a minimalistic X server on the hypervisor and using
21 > X11-Forwarding via bridged ethernet
22 >
23 > Or maybe even someone knows a better solution?
24 >
25 > Thank you folks!
26 >
27 > Cheers
28 > Ralf
29
30 On my system, qemu-kvm has the best performance with X11 on guest.
31 I've also tested vnc and spice with qxl video driver on guest, but X11
32 was faster.
33
34 I can imagine that this depends on the hardware and screen resolution.
35 So maybe on your system an other setup is better.
36
37 My host GPU is a Radeon Ultimate R7 250, resolution is 3840x2160@60Hz,
38 driver is xf86-video-ati.
39 X11 compositing is deactivated on host as well as on guest.
40
41 As "video card" on guest I use vmware (-vga vmware). Screen resolution
42 on guest is 2386x1770. That seems to be the highest possible screen size
43 that is available with this settings. I also tested other guest video
44 drivers (std and cirrus) but vmware was the fastest and also the one with
45 the highest resolution.
46
47 Before I bought an UHD monitor, I used sdl as qemu display (-display sdl)
48 in borderless fullscreen mode (-no-frame -full-screen). I used the same
49 screen resolution on host and guest (1920x1200) and qemu was running on
50 one of my virtual XFCE desktops.
51 This was very handy. But as I've written before, it seems not possible for
52 me to run qemu with UHD screen size. So fullscreen mode isn't possible any
53 longer and now qemu runs in a window on my desktop (-display gtk).
54
55 But with none of my setups it was/is possible to run a fullscreen video
56 on the guest vm. Performance is much to slow for that. I've spent some
57 time to make it faster, but I failed.
58
59 I would be happy for any hints about better video performance with qemu.
62 Regards
63 wabe