From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bash completion
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 01:04:48
1 On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 08:10:44PM -0400, Penguin Lover fire-eyes squawked:
2 > Well, i got totally confused, it seemed i couldn't for the life of me get
3 > ~/.bashrc pulled in no matter what i did.
4 >
5 > I put the following into ~/.bash_profile and it worked out fine. I'm wondering
6 .bash_profile is loaded for login shells.
7 .bashrc is loaded for for interactive shells that are not login shells.
8
9 The reason .bashrc is usually loaded when you log-in as a user is that
10 the skeleton file gentoo defaults to when creating a new user
11 (/etc/skel/*) has the line
12 [[ -f ~/.bashrc ]] && . ~/.bashrc
13 which sources .bashrc
14
15 The default for root, however, does not contain that line (at least on
16 my box, the installation of which is at least 3 years old). I think
17 that is cause enough to file a bug against the wordings in the ebuild.
18
19 W
20 --
21 "Fortunately, this is where we stop, for the equations of motion are 2nd order.
22 If it were 5th order you'd all probably switch to biology."
23 ~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
24 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 163 days, 17:11
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list