From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bash completion
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:16:09
1 On Monday 24 April 2006 20:05, JimD wrote:
2 > Do you have your terminal set to create a login shell?  I noticed that
3 > /etc/profile will source /etc/profile.d/*.sh when you log in.  However
4 > if you look in /etc/profile.d/, bash-completion gets installed as
5 > bash-completion and not bash-completion.sh.  So it appears to never get
6 > sourced.  I renamed it to bash-completion.sh and it works for me.  I
7 > also set gnome-terminal to create a login shell.
8 >
9 > A login shell will source /etc/profile and /etc/bash/bashrc where as a
10 > non-login shell will only source /etc/bash/bashrc.
11 >
12 > Jim
13
14 Well, i got totally confused, it seemed i couldn't for the life of me get
15 ~/.bashrc pulled in no matter what i did.
16
17 I put the following into ~/.bash_profile and it worked out fine. I'm wondering
18 if that information sent out at the end of the ebuild is wrong, or if i'm
19 just confused:
20
21 [[ -f /etc/bash_completion ]] && \
22 source /etc/bash_completion
23
24 Thanks for the replies, and I'm interested if you think the info at the end of
25 the ebuild was wrong. I'll paste it again here:
26
27 einfo "Add the following to your ~/.bashrc to enable completion support."
28 einfo "NOTE: to avoid things like Gentoo bug #98627, you should set
29 aliases"
30 einfo "after sourcing /etc/profile.d/bash-completion."
31 einfo
32 einfo "[[ -f /etc/profile.d/bash-completion ]] && \\ "
33 einfo " source /etc/profile.d/bash-completion"
36 "When you walk across the fields with your mind pure and holy, then from
37 all the stones, and all growing things, and all animals, the sparks of
38 their soul come out and cling to you. And then they are purified, and
39 become a holy fire in you." -- Ancient Hasidic Saying
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list