From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] two glibcs with different version
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 09:49:16
1 On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 10:57 +0200, Kraus Philipp wrote:
2 >
3 > On 01.05.2010 um 10:32 wrote Volker Armin Hemmann:
4 >
5 > > On Samstag 01 Mai 2010, Graham Murray wrote:
6 > > > Kraus Philipp <philipp.kraus@×××××××××.de> writes:
7 > > > > Hello,
8 > > > >
9 > > > > I must test a software with a older version of the glibc. I run
10 > > > > the
11 > > > > 2.11.1 now but for one tool I need a previous version (2.6.1).
12 > > > > How can I compile the glibc without changing my system glibc. I
13 > > > > would
14 > > > > like to set the previous glibc with the LD_PATH.
15 > > > > Can I run two different versions or is a better solution to
16 > > > > downgrade
17 > > > > the system glib?
18 > > >
19 > > > I think that the only way you can do this is to create a chroot
20 > > > jail,
21 > > > in which you build everything using the old version of glibc (in a
22 > > > very
23 > > > similar way to building a new Gentoo system) and run your
24 > > > application in
25 > > > that.
26 > >
27 > > no, you can install glibc in /usr/local and then tell apps to either
28 > > use the
29 > > libs in /usr/local or /usr.
30 > >
31 > > It is just not easy because it easily breaks stuff in horrrible to
32 > > fix ways.
36 > Okay, can I downgrade my glibc? My Gentoo isn't a big system, it's a
37 > server
38 > installation, so I can recompile the whole system. I had forgotten to
39 > mask the
40 > glibc on the last update. I have add a line to the portage.mask but
41 > emerge says
42 > that it can't compile the older version, because will damage the
43 > system.
47 Would LD_PRELOAD solve your problem? - worked for me when needing to run
48 a legacy redhat app in the past on a more up-to-date gentoo system.
49
50 There is also a LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable. Get a binary copy of the libs
51 you need and put em somewhere convenient and let the rest of the system
52 stay as is.
53
54 google for LD_PRELOAD.
55