From: Kraus Philipp <philipp.kraus@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] two glibcs with different version
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 08:58:51
1 On 01.05.2010 um 10:32 wrote Volker Armin Hemmann:
2
3 > On Samstag 01 Mai 2010, Graham Murray wrote:
4 >> Kraus Philipp <philipp.kraus@×××××××××.de> writes:
5 >>> Hello,
6 >>>
7 >>> I must test a software with a older version of the glibc. I run the
8 >>> 2.11.1 now but for one tool I need a previous version (2.6.1).
9 >>> How can I compile the glibc without changing my system glibc. I
10 >>> would
11 >>> like to set the previous glibc with the LD_PATH.
12 >>> Can I run two different versions or is a better solution to
13 >>> downgrade
14 >>> the system glib?
15 >>
16 >> I think that the only way you can do this is to create a chroot jail,
17 >> in which you build everything using the old version of glibc (in a
18 >> very
19 >> similar way to building a new Gentoo system) and run your
20 >> application in
21 >> that.
22 >
23 > no, you can install glibc in /usr/local and then tell apps to either
24 > use the
25 > libs in /usr/local or /usr.
26 >
27 > It is just not easy because it easily breaks stuff in horrrible to
28 > fix ways.
29
30 Okay, can I downgrade my glibc? My Gentoo isn't a big system, it's a
31 server
32 installation, so I can recompile the whole system. I had forgotten to
33 mask the
34 glibc on the last update. I have add a line to the portage.mask but
35 emerge says
36 that it can't compile the older version, because will damage the system.